Learn & Lather: Intermediate Soap Making
Is there not a class in session? Click here to be among the first to find out when new class dates are offered.
Making your own soap gives you the ability to address skin problems and more easily care for your skin so that it has a healthier appearance. You can customize and control every step of the process.
During this class of only six students, we are exploring color and design! You will learn the skills of designing, coloring and swirling your soap. You'll use skin loving ingredients such as olive oil and butters to make cold process soaps that nourish your skin alongside vibrant and natural colorants. You'll make and take home a total of 1 1/2 pounds of soap; the equivalent of 6 bars of soap - a retail value of $42!!!
- We are skipping the basics! You must have participated in Learn & Lather: Soap Making for Beginners or an equivalent cold process soap making class
- Have a desire to advance soap making skills
- Willingness to practice and master techniques
During this 2-hour class, you will learn:
- Tools & safety overview
- How to line your soap mold
- How to plan you soap design
- Ways to color your soaps and selection of at least six colors
- Hands on step by step process to calculate, measure and mix sodium hydroxide (lye)
- Trace and its influence
- Ways to design your soaps using swirls
- How to design the appearance of the top of your soap using texture
- Tips & tricks of the practice
- Q&A session with tips to help you pursue soap making as a hobby or as a business
- 10% discount on MawAhh products the day of the class
You will receive:
- Hands on instruction & guidance
- Recipe & resource Handout
- MawAhh student gift
- Certificate of Completion
- Date: June 29, 2019
- Time: 1:00 P.M. to 3:30 P.M
- Location: Gambrills General Store, 865 Annapolis Rd., Gambrills, MD
This location is a local general store with old world charm. They are family owned and make an effort to remember your name when you come in. They sell a variety of items for local farmers and the crowd who loves handcrafted items. You'll typically encounter a barn cat, a dog and/or baby chickens depending on the time of year. Please take this into consideration if you have pet allergies.
About The Instructor
Sherita Cowell is the owner of MawAhh bath & Body. She has been making skincare products for nine years and has taught students to craft soap since 2012. She teaches children and adults basic soapmaking as well as formulation and advanced additive and design techniques.
Her soap classes are held in comfortable, mostly non-typical class environments. Students are encouraged to safely explore their crafty alter-ego in a supervised environment so they may have the skills and confidence to make soap on their own at home.
When Sherita is not acting like a mad scientist in her product production space, she is a huge foodie! She also enjoys hanging out with her hubby and doggie while enjoying a cup of coffee.
- Wear clothing that can take a possible stain or two. Long selves, pants, and closed toe shoes are required; aprons are a welcomed fashion accessory if you own one. :-) All other supplies to include safety equipment will be provided to you.
- Children must be 16 years or older and have a parent present to participate in this class unless otherwise specified in the class description.
- Please do not bring non-student's to class. This includes children and pets. Parents escorting children taking the class are considered students themselves and are encouraged to hangout.
- Cellphones must be on silent or vibrate. Step away from class if you need to take a call.
- Feel free to take pictures during the class. I am not camera shy! But respect the wishes of other students if they should choose to not be on camera.
- If you need to cancel, submit notification by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 8 days PRIOR to the start of the class. You will receive a class credit good toward use for a future class date within the next year.
- If cancellation is requested between 7 days and 2 days (48 hours) before the start of the class, you will receive a partial credit of $25 to be applied to a future class offering. Cancellation must be submitted in writing to email@example.com
- Transfer your class to another student at least 48 hours before the start of class. E-mail your intentions along with your name and the first and last name of the new student to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you execute a transfer to student who does not show up to class, you will NOT receive a refund or class credit.
- If you are a no show for a class you will NOT receive a refund or class credit. There are no transfer options for no show.
- If I should have to cancel or reschedule the class for any reason, you reserve the right to receive a full refund.