And The Hunt is On!
Egg hunts can be fun but who wants to search the back of a product label or an online ingredients list just to "figure out" what ingredients are in their skin care??? I've often watched people in the cosmetic aisle read the first few ingredients listed on a label and then move onto the next product, following the same process all over again. This can be time consuming and confusing. So much for that "quick" run to the store! This is exactly how I shopped for lotion and soap until my husband mailed me my first bar of natural soap all the way from the United Kingdom. It truly forever changed my life!
How it Began
A very quick history on my husband and I. When we meet, he lived in the United Kingdom while I lived in the United States. What I eventually learned is the European Union cosmetics industry is often recognized as a leader of the strict regulation of cosmetic products. Their rules and regulations are much stricter than those in America.
When I started to suffer from allergic reactions to products that I'd been using since childhood, I immediately looked to the products sold in Europe for help. I wanted to know exactly what I was using on my skin. This journey eventually lead to making my own skin care products and starting MawAhh at the encouragement of my husband.
What's in It?
Take a look at your favorite bar of commercially made soap and I am sure you'll recognize some of the following ingredients:
- Sodium Lauroyl is a foaming and cleansing agent that can cause skin irritation.
- Rendered beef fat mixed with sodium hydroxide (lye) is known as Sodium Tallowate. If this ingredient is on the list, the product is not free of animal products. This labeling practice is also what leads some people to believe there is a such thing as "lye free" free. All soap is made with lye.
- Cocamidopropyl betaine is a synthetic surfactant. It has been associated with irritation and allergic contact dermatitis.
- Preservative Tetrasodium EDTA is made from the known carcinogen, formaldehyde.
No Harmful Ingredients
With MawAhh products, you will find:
- No parabens or phthalates
- No artificial foamers
- No dyes or colorants
Take a look at your bar or bottle of Dove, Dial, Ivory or whatever your soap of choice may be. Read between the lines to find what's in your skincare products. I promise that doing this now, will prevent you from going down the path of product label "egg hunts" in the future. Comment below and let us know what you discover. Got a question about what you find on your label? Post it below and I'll help you figure it out.